- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion (diced) (about 1 cup)
- 2 medium carrots (peeled and diced) (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium stalk celery (diced) (about 1/2 cup)
- 4 medium cloves garlic (minced) (about 2 tablespoons)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt + more to taste*
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper + more to taste
- 1 cup dry brown lentils (rinsed well in cold water)
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth (one 32-ounce box)
- 8 ounces baby spinach (about 6 cups)
- Hit "Saute" button on Instant Pot. Add oil. When hot, add the onions, carrots, and celery. Saute, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin, turmeric, thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring constantly, for one minute.
- Add the lentils and pour in the broth. Stir.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and make sure the release valve is in the "sealing" position. Press the "Manual" button and set the timer at 12 minutes.
- The Instant Pot will warm up for about 10 minutes and then start cooking. After the 12 minutes is up, quick-release by flipping the release valve to "venting" (a little bit at a time at first).
- Once venting is complete, remove the lid of the Instant Pot. Stir in the spinach. Taste and add additional salt and pepper if desired. Serve.
- Keeps in the refrigerator for about 3 days. Freezes well too!
Other Info (pictures, nutrition, etc)
SERVING: 1.5cups, CALORIES: 245kcal, CARBOHYDRATES: 40g, PROTEIN: 16g, FAT: 3g, SATURATED FAT: 1g, SODIUM: 371mg, POTASSIUM: 961mg, FIBER: 19g, SUGAR: 5g, VITAMIN A: 10488IU, VITAMIN C: 22mg, CALCIUM: 120mg, IRON: 6mg