Study: Knights of Grace - Attribute Definitions Continued
Lesson: 6 - Grace
11:00 - Review of Honesty
The start of honesty is to know the Truth - Christ
Next step is to be honest with yourself and God at all times and in all situations
Work to maintain honesty in all relationships
How did any of you experience or practice honesty this past week?
Verse - John 8:32
You will know the truth and the truth will set you free
11:05 - Intro to Grace
"The Lord's Baseball Game"
Bob and the Lord stood by to observe a baseball game.
The Lord's team was playing Satan's team.
The Lord's team was at bat, the score was tied zero to zero, and it was the bottom of the 9th inning with two outs.
They continued to watch as a batter stepped up to the plate whose name was Love.
Love swung at the first pitch and hit a single, because Love never fails.
The next batter was named Faith, who also got a single because Faith works with Love.
The next batter up was named Godly wisdom. Satan wound up and threw the first pitch. Godly Wisdom looked it over and let it pass: Ball one. Three more pitches and Godly Wisdom walked, because Godly wisdom never swings at what Satan throws.
The bases were loaded. The Lord then turned to Bob and told him He was now going to bring in His star player. Up to the plate stepped Grace.
Bob said "He sure doesn't look like much!"
Satan's whole team relaxed when they saw Grace.
Thinking he had won the game, Satan wound up and fired his first pitch.
To the shock of everyone, Grace hit the ball harder than anyone had ever seen.
But Satan was not worried; his center fielder let very few get by. He went up for the ball, but it went right through his glove, hit him on the head and sent him crashing on the ground; then it continued over the fence for a home run! The Lord's team won.
The Lord then asked Bob if he knew why Love, Faith, and Godly Wisdom could get on base but could not win the game. Bob answered that he did not know why. The Lord explained, "If your love, faith and wisdom had won the game you would think you had done it by yourself. Love, faith and wisdom will get you on base, but only My Grace can get you home. My Grace is the one thing Satan cannot steal.
BREAK - CHANGE SEATS – PUSHUPS
11:10 - Lesson:
Justice - Getting what you deserve.
- Adam and Eve were guilty of sinning - judge by God - and were expelled from the Garden of Eden. The true punishment was being separated from God.
- God judged the Northern and Southern kingdoms of Israel and allowed both of them to be conquered and taken away into bondage.
Mercy - Undeserved favor - Not getting what you deserve.
- When Moses was on the mountain receiving the 10 Commandments, the Israelites were making an golden idol. The Israelites deserved death but God showed Mercy.
- The Ninavites that Jonah visited deserved to be wiped out but they turned from their ways and God showed mercy.
Blessing - Gift from God
- Sampson was blessed with great strength. He defeated an army with the jaw bone of a mule. Even with his strength he could not overcome the attention that he desired from Delila.
- David was blessed with the anointment of God; defeated all of the enemies of Israel; was made king of Israel. Even with all of this David could not overcome his desire for another mans possession (the story of Batchsheba and Uriah in 2 Sam 11-12)
BREAK - SMALL GROUPS
- Grace includes mercy - undeserved favor - we are all sinners and deserve death.
Romans 3:23 - for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.
But God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us,
even when we were dead in our transgressions, made us alive together with
Christ by grace you have been saved.
Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy,
and find grace to help in time of need.
- Grace is a blessing - gift from God - a gift that was made available through the life, obedience, sacrifice and resurrection of Christ.
For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and
this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God not by works,
so that no one can boast.
being justified as a gift by His grace through the redemption
which is in Christ Jesus;
- Grace is mercy, blessings and more; the Grace that is only available and comes through salvation... * frees us from the power of all sin (past, present and future) * gives us the ability to to overcome temptations and sin * gives us the ability to be as much like Christ as we possibly can
And Stephen, full of grace and power, was performing great wonders
and signs among the people.
"But I do not consider my life of any account as dear to myself,
so that I may finish my course and the ministry which I received
from the Lord Jesus, to testify solemnly of the gospel of the grace of God.
2 Corinthians 9:8
And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that always having all
sufficiency in everything, you may have an abundance for every good deed;
11:25 – Small Group Time
- How did Sampson and David respond after they were aware they were outside of God's will / desire for them? How should we respond? *developing and maintaining a personal relationship with God through prayer ,fellowship, meditating on the word, focusing on the character of God
- What do you think it means in Acts 6:8 when the word says Stephen was " full of grace"?
- Read Romans 12:3 - "For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you."
* How can you display the presence of God's Grace in your life?
* sharing the gospel
* showing acceptance of someone who may look, act, dress talk differently
* showing kindness, mercy, patience to a brother or sister
* forgiving someone that has hurt them
- Think about your choices, words, actions, attitudes? Do they reflect the life that Christ lived?
11:35 – Large Group
Small Group Presentation and Discussion
11:45 - Summary
- Grace is only available from God through Christ.
- Grace is a combination of God's mercy, God's blessings and more.
- Grace is the power from God within us to overcome sin and live the life that God has called us to live
There is one requirement to become a Knight of Grace - the acceptance of God's plan of salvation
Being a Knight of Grace means carrying the banner of Christ...in
- our hearts
- our thoughts
- our words
- our actions
John 1:17 -
For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.
CLOSE IN PRAYER