Cheesy Cauliflower Potato Soup by LorettaMach
1 yellow onion
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 head cauliflower
1.5 lb. russet potatoes
4 cups vegetable broth
12 oz. evaporated milk
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp salt
freshly cracked pepper
4 oz. medium cheddar, shredded
3 green onions, sliced (The green onions really add a pop of flavor to each bowl, so I don't suggest skipping them.)
- Dice the onion and add it to a soup pot along with the olive oil. Sauté the onion over medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until softened.
- Peel and dice the potatoes into 1-inch cubes. Cut the cauliflower into small florets. Add the cubed potatoes and cauliflower florets to the soup pot along with the vegetable broth. Place a lid on top, turn the heat up to high, and bring the pot up to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium-low and let it simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the potatoes and cauliflower are extremely soft.
- Add the evaporated milk to the soup. Use an immersion blender to purée the mixture, or allow it to cool slightly, then transfer the soup in batches to a blender to purée. Blending hot liquids is extremely dangerous, so make sure to let it cool until warm first (adding the evaporated milk will help bring the temperature down), and drape a towel over the lid of the blender as added protection against unintended splatter.
- Once the soup is puréed, season with smoked paprika, salt, and freshly cracked pepper (10-15 cranks of a pepper mill). The amount of salt needed will vary, depending on the salt content of the broth used.
- Place the soup back over medium heat and allow it to heat through. Once hot, begin stirring in the cheese, one handful at a time, until it has fully melted into the soup.
- Serve the Cheesy Cauliflower and Potato Soup with sliced green onions on top.
Other Info (pictures, nutrition, etc)