Mayflower Shepherds Pie by Richard Simmons
Prep 15 min, Cook 20 min, Bake 450 for 15 min.
1 pound extra-lean ground beef or turkey
Nonstick olive oil cooking spray
1 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1/2 cup sliced carrots
1 can (14 1/2 ounces) beef broth
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup frozen peas
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 can (5.5 ounces) mixed vegetalbe juice
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
1/4 teaspoon each salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 cups FargoGarlicMashedPotatoes
1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add ground meat. Cook, stirring, until browned and crumbly, 4 to 6 minutes. Remove meat with slotted spoon to colander to drain. Drain any fat from skillet.
- Coat same skillet with cooking spray. Add onion, garlic, and carrots. Cook, stirring, about 2 minutes or until onion is softened, adding a little beef broth to prevent sticking and over browning as needed.
- Add remaining broth. Bring to boil. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until vegetables are just tender.
- Add mushrooms and peas. Cook 1 minute more.
- Preheat over to 450 degrees.
- In small bowl stir cornstarch into mixed vegetable juice to dissolve. Add to cooked vegetables. Stir over medium heat until mixture thickens, about 2 minutes. Add Worcestershire, rosemary, salt, pepper, and browned meat. Transfer mixture to 2-quart casserole.
- Spread mashed potatoes over top of pie, or spoon on dollops of mashed potatoes. Swirl with fork to decorate. Sprinkle potatoes with Parmesan.
- Bake 15 minutes or until potato topping is golden brown and filling is bubbly.
Any leftover cooked meat you may have can be chopped or ground, and used instead of the uncooked ground meat called for in the recipe. Start recipe with step 2.
Other Info (pictures, nutrition, etc)
375 calories, 28 g protein, 16 g fat (38% fat), 30 g carbohydrate, 968 mg sodium, 77 mg cholesterol
Back to: RecipeBook