Coconut Bonbons by Nathan and Christine
5 1/3 c. coconut (one 14oz bag)
1 c. sweetened condensed milk
1 1/3 c. powdered sugar
4T butter (softened but not melted)
1/2 t. vanilla (I used Mexican vanilla)
¼ t. almond extract
¼ t. coconut extract
2 packages semisweet chocolate chips (I use Costco’s Kirkland brand chocolate chips)
- Combine coconut, sweetened condensed milk, powdered sugar, vanilla, extracts, and butter. Mix until the butter is well integrated. Cover & refrigerate for at least 1/2 hour or put in freezer ~15 minutes until it is firm.
- Form into small balls & put into the freezer until ready to dip.
- Line a cookie sheet with wax paper.
- Melt chocolate chips & temper the chocolate (I used the sous vide method to temper but can do over a double boiler or some other method)
- Dip each ball in chocolate & put onto the cookie sheet to set.
Other Info (pictures, nutrition, etc)
Makes about 65 candies. The recipe can be halved.