Chocolate Haupia Pie by Ted's Bakery, Sunset Beach, Oahu, Hawaii
Serves 6 to 8.
1 9-inch prepared pie crust
7 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup sugar
Shaved chocolate, for garnish
1 can coconut milk
1 cup milk
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup cornstarch
1 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake crust until golden, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make haupia: Whisk coconut milk, milk and sugar together in a small saucepan.
- In a separate bowl, dissolve cornstarch in water.
- Bring coconut milk mixture to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and whisk in cornstarch mixture, whisking until thickened.
- Microwave chocolate pieces on high 1 minute; stir to melt completely.
- Pour half the haupia into a bowl.
- Mix remaining haupia with melted chocolate and pour over the bottom of the baked pie crust.
- Layer white haupia over the top.
- Cool pie at least 1 hour in refrigerator.
- Whip cream with 1/4 cup sugar until still peaks form.
- Garnish pie with whipped cream and shaved chocolate. Chill another hour.